Although in anything but a hurry, I’ve spoken with the owner of another Seavivor for sale. This kayak’s in need of a repair and I have not yet seen photos. I was able to get some longerons made for the Pionier I owned a few years back, and successfully dealt with tears on my Pouch solo’s deck closure arrangement.
Josh H. and I, after church and after lunch Sunday, loaded the E68 and 450S and drove out first to Ovoca Lake to see if that would be at all interesting to paddle (it was not, it is a largish pond of probably no more than 10 acres covered in sludgy-looking lily plants). We drove on, then, to Normandy Lake and put in at Barton Springs boat ramp. Crowded parking lot filled with trucks that’d trailered in pontoon-boat party barges, jet-skiis, run-down bass boats, and every variety of lesser motorized waterborne conveyance. The drivers and passengers of these small craft seemed a little boozed-up and under-dressed for the occasion. Because we got to the water fairly late in the afternoon, we didn’t spend long on the water – paddled out to the bridge, then crossed to Negro Hill and around to the other side of the public camping area there, and then back. Way better than no time on the water. I tried out round-tipped canoe paddle with the Pionier, and it worked pretty well. It was easy to stash in the cockpit and may reasonably be expected to serve in the event of some emergency.
Friday was the day I got around to starting the keelstrip project. In order to keep from having to buy a new skin for my new boat, I bought a keelstrip kit from Longhaul Folding Kayaks. Spoke on the phone with the company’s owner, Mark Eckhart, who not only manufactures folding kayaks, but has a keen interest in superannuated folders long out of production. For a very reasonable price, he sent me a 17’ keelstrip, neoprene cement, a brush, 50 grit sandpaper, rags (for the application of toluene), protective gloves, and printed instructions.
Abrasion of the fabric along the keel is such that I will have to debride some of the loose strings. I also marked the guidelines wrong and will have to re-center and tape the strip, then re-mark the hull. Additionally, because the floor of my garage is not particle-free, I’m going to to have to find another place to clean off the strip’s application surface. Which means that aside from the hull-sanding, I’ll have to start over. Means I’m going to get another toluene headache, although I’m sure working in the open air helped lessen the toxic effects of the fumes on my neurobiological substrate.
I’ve already posted most of these in a Facebook Album, and may also put them in an album at Folding Kayaks website.
As you look at some of these photos, you’ll see what appears to be a powdery residue on the keel. Either the hullskin is turning to powder, or talcum powder was used when the boat was last assembled in order make eventual disassembly easier.
My blog stats show that two people have already downloaded the assembly instructions for this boat – happy to know there are some others interested in assembling a Pionier 450 S.
Pionier 450 S Instruction Sheets In German and English: